Thursday, April 19, 2007

Thinking.........

I've been thinking a lot about improvement. The pics I took of my grip stuff earlier made me want to do grip stuff again. I'm always wary though, I have gotten 2 injuries doing grip training. It fucking sucks to wake up at 2:15 in the morning with your ring finger curled to your palm. It sucks worse to try to straighten it out, trust me on this. In fact I don't think my ring finger on my right hand will ever, ever be 100% again, 99.5% maybe but not 100%. Of course neither will my ankle and I was just doing the laundry ( another story for another time ). So not working out to prevent injuries is just stupid.
The thing is with grippers is that they are not progressive. I can't accurately quantify progress
because the next step up is so much heavier than the one before. I resorted to super-high intensity programs, like forced negatives and extended ROM. This appearantly is the most effective way because crush grip is mostly tendon strength, ( according to grip god David Horne ). The problem with that is that I'm not 20 anymore. And I'll never be 20 again. My tendons aren't what they used to be!


I'm totally thrilled with a 5 lb increase on my bench or squat compared to the previous week.

Why.

Becaue it's a measurable improvement. I can calculate what this means. 5 pound improvement x 10 or 20 or 100 = a shitload of strength.

I've decided to do one heavy and on light day a week with grippers and one pinch day for thumb work.

Im doing heavy day with squats and light day with DL. Pinch on bench day. I'll use very few high intensity techniques. Mostly I'll just practice the grippers.

3 Comments:

Blogger Christine said...

I think you'll be surprised what you get out of the grip work after having done kettlebells. I just had a discussion about football lineman and hand injuries, and my former teammates noted that I never seemed to hurt my hands, and my reply was "kettlebells and heavy bag work"

9:46 PM  
Blogger Royce said...

Ya' know it's funny I rehabed my hand by doing KB swings. They really do improve the body as a unit!!

10:22 PM  
Blogger Christine said...

Once again, swings are the shiznit. :)

12:13 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home