Friday, April 20, 2007

Actually having a gym membership

is pretty much a waste of money for me. I have such a sporadic scedule at home. Hence the home gym. plus I hate most comercial gyms anyway. I got spoiled by this dungeon I used to go to when I was 19 to 20. JP's was the name of it. No stairclimber, no tread mill. there was an old schwin air bike in the corner. Piles of freeweights. even the machines were old skool. Most of them didn't use cables, they used gears with chains. All the benches and machines had the same THIN red padding. I still think red equalls better. But like everything in Phoenix it got bastardized and closed down. They lost their lease, went mainstream, and were gone within 3 months of moving. Me and Pat still talk about that gym sometimes.
Money is ALWAYS in short supply around here. 7 people, 4 dogs, 2 turtles, a tarantula, a parakeet, and various kids from the 'hood always always around, and 1 income.
So when I talk about getting a new piece of fitness equipment Barb just rolls her eyes, but with good reason. Groceries or box for box squats??? Wich will beneifit the family more??? Well duh!
I'm a pretty patient dude though, I have no problem saving 20 bucks here and 50 there to save up for what I want.

But I want to do box squats, and I want to try out different bars and such, and I want to watch other peoples form.
I got on powerliftingwatch.com and found a gym close to me. It looks cool. They make a point of saying they are a STRENGTH gym. the pics are way cool on their site. CoC grippers, chains,boards, CHALK, stones, tires ect.

So here is what I'm thinking, day passes are 6 bucks. I could go every monday to squat there while I'm saving up for a box and a cambered bar, If I can't make it during buisiness hours I always have home.

plus they seem to like red too..........

http://www.strengthworksgym.com

4 Comments:

Blogger Christine said...

$25 for my membership there! I'm moving to AZ!!!!! I pay $50 at my gym, and they have *one* squat rack. *ONE*

*drool* looooooooooook at those platforms! *sigh*

1:27 PM  
Blogger Royce said...

Yeah looks like a bust as place, I'm going a week from this Mon.

1:41 PM  
Blogger Royce said...

Christine, you know what I just realized.
There are no mirrors there. Rock the hell on.
I HATE mirrors by the dumbell rack, some dufuss is always standing between the dumbell bench and the mirror knocking out cheat curls staring at his arms.

1:48 PM  
Blogger Tracy Reifkind said...

black and red are the only proper colors for a real gym,lol.

2:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home