Thursday, October 04, 2007

OK so it turns out

that I have a more serious problem with alcohol than I thought. I had many controls in place. Most of those controlls were removed temporarily. They are pretty firmly back in place as of today. But the last 2 months have been really really counterproductive. You know what scares me? Someday I'll be retired, the kids will be grown, and I will have zero responsibilities. If I can't get a handle on this now I'm going to have a miserable life when I'm older.

1 We admitted we were powerless over alcohol – that our lives had become unmanageable.
2 Came to believe that a Power greater than ourselves could restore us to sanity.
3 Made a decision to turn our will and our lives over to the care of God as we understood Him.
4 Made a searching and fearless moral inventory of ourselves.
5 Admitted to God, to ourselves and to another human being the exact nature of our wrongs.
6 Were entirely ready to have God remove all these defects of character.
7 Humbly asked Him to remove our shortcomings.
8 Made a list of all persons we had harmed, and became willing to make amends to them all.
9 Made direct amends to such people wherever possible, except when to do so would injure them or others.
10 Continued to take personal inventory and when we were wrong promptly admitted it.
11 Sought through prayer and meditation to improve our conscious contact with God as we understood Him, praying only for knowledge of His will for us and the power to carry that out.
12 Having had a spiritual awakening as the result of these steps, we tried to carry this message to alcoholics, and to practice these principles in all our affairs.

I sorta agree with number 1, numbers 8 and 10 are just good humanity. However, I'm athiest so the rest won't work for me.

I really am a little concerned obout this. I played pool for an hour yesterday, had a damn fine steak and 4 glasses of water. I haven't drank today. If I'm quite on the blog for a while it's soley because I'm trying to get a handle on this stuff....

9 Comments:

Blogger Iron Tamer said...

Royce, Why are you an atheist?

6:07 PM  
Blogger Christine said...

You're a better man for being able to admit it.

7:54 PM  
Blogger fawn said...

Royce,

I am an atheist too... God can be found in anything... including yourself. Cripes... there is no god in Buddhism, the Founding Fathers were Deists... we should do things to better ourselves because sucking at life is a total drag.

Make this existence the best experience you can, gravitate toward peace, just because it is a nice feeling. God is what makes you feel good about life on planet earth...

Plus too much alcohol is very bad for; training, muscle gain, sex drive, liver health, aesthetic good looks, effective parenting and fat loss (just to name a few).

7:58 PM  
Blogger Royce said...

Dave, I just don't see any evidence for a god per se, and I have never felt any presence of "god" in my life. even after 22 years of being a JW. This is not an anger issue, just don't believe...

Christine, thanks.

Fawn, alcohol is a bad thing. I need to get a grip on it. Effective parenting, yeah that one hurts. Thanks though i needed it.

10:30 PM  
Blogger Taikei Matsushita said...

Glad that you admitt alcohol is bad.
Many of my friends are drinking saying it is good for their health, and I'm stepping few distance away from these guys recently.

I talk to these people and find they have equivalent daily character as if they're drunk. Probably I will cut out these people from any business involvement.

Having said that, I kept drinking after June RKC til last week.
Found some objectives to stop.
a)will be running a workshop b)I got knocked out doing some boxing sparr and had to cure myself.

Is it beer? If so, can you replace with carbonated water or soda.

4:06 AM  
Blogger fawn said...

Sorry Royce... I wasn't trying to guilt you. We should all move in the direction of peace. Remove the obstructions. Sheesh, I sound like a hippy...

4:43 AM  
Blogger Royce said...

Fawn, not at all, and I'm a big ole hippy myself. Before I met Barb i had a '79 Westy I restored and was planning on living various beaches for a while :-)


Taikei, if I just have a beer or two a week I'm fine. But recently it's started to be mixed drinks and that my friend, is a problem for me. And no alcohol is NOT good for you. Wine might be, but alcohol in general is not.

7:48 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Royce, they have 12-step programs specifically for atheists, including AA. Going and observing an open meeting of that type might be illuminating.

2:26 PM  
Blogger Jim Ryan said...

I agree with many on here and especially anonymous. the 12 steps are there to help you IF you will let them. It can be a bit harder for an atheist, but there is a way back to sanity and stability.

Good luck with that.

I do believe in God but not the one I was raised with (Catholic).

I don't think of God as a person anymore, more a force. The ultimate force. It works through us all, every person, animal and rock, in its own way.

We all (people)have free will and we can use our powers for good or not, but if we lay back and do nothing, that force will let us die. No free ride on Earth.

6:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home