Saturday, July 14, 2007

So of course now that I wanted to get to sleep early

(Warning the following content is REALLY boring to most people. )

I'm wired like a bastard. Been pretty introspective for the last few days. Thinking about goals, school, workouts ect. Reading, contemplating, and just plain ole' reckoning.

One of my hobbies and actually a real passion of mine is being a commodities speculator. Although I'm definately in the plus side when it comes to profit vs loss I doubt I'll ever get rich at it.

A while back we were in desperate need of money so I closed out my account and took care of stuff, this is the second time I've done that. So for a while now I haven't had an account. I really enjoy sitting down and searching through the charts, looking for formations and trends. I know this sounds incredibely boring espescially since I have come to terms with the fact that it's just a hobby, and only marginally profitable at best. But I love it.

There is something so rewarding about getting filled on an order that you place along side huge corporations and watching it gain profit then selling it in an instant.

The best trade yet was an Orange Juice option that I bought for 160 bucks including commission and sold 3 weeks later for over 900 bucks. There were over 18,000 of those buggers for sale on the day I bought mine. I was happy with my little one all by it's lonesome. I've had many options double in short order and of course had several expire worthless too. Can't win em all.

So for about a year I haven't been paying attention to the markets and it's left a wee little hole in my annalytical side. So I decided to fill it tonight. I started paper trading again. It's learning the basics all over again. It's the kettlebell equivelant of stopping your program and working the 2hand swing only. So I created 2 seperate folders on my desktop with text documents and am trading two different (fake) accounts with two completely seperate strategies.
I sat down and looked at all the markets tried to identify different formations and came up with 2 seperate trades tonight. It left me with a warm little glow in the pit of my stomach. I feel good now.

4 Comments:

Blogger Aaron Friday said...

Oh My God was that post Boring! You should have put up a warning or something.

How's the paperwork at tax time when you're trading in and out?

4:09 PM  
Blogger Royce said...

It's a little confusing, so I have an agent do it. It never really amounts to a lot by the end of the year. I have an uncle that used to farm and raise hogs, he used the matkets as a hedge against his livestock and grains he said the paperwork was a nightmare. LOL

4:13 PM  
Blogger Aaron Friday said...

I can't imagine tracking taxable events on a daily or almost-daily basis like that. You could work for days just to conclude that you owe $82 in taxes. WTF?

4:30 PM  
Blogger Royce said...

LOL
Yeah like I said it's a weird hobby, but it fulfills some little niche in my head somwhere.

5:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home