Saturday, February 03, 2007

SAID vs hardstyle KB WTH effect

The SAID principle versus the WTH effect.
The 2 seem to be polar opposites of each other.
But I am begining to realize that the WTH effect confirms the SAID principle, and russian strength training techniques too.
With hardstyle the hips are trained as the start of any movement, this is one of the most powerfull primal patterns there is. Running, jumping, kicking, squating, deadlifting, tackling, caber toss, whatever, hips are involved. Then there is the core ( although I am starting to not like that word, jut prime movers and stabilizers ), off centered unilateral loads hit not only the abs but the obliques. In my opinion one of the most underdeveloped muscle groups in America. 'Cause everyone wants the V waist. In my personal experience as a laboror most of my adult life I can tell you strong obliques will give a person a very powefull advantage. If you carry a child, bag of groceries, suitcase, or stack of shingles on one side you will be only as strong as your obliques, and if they are not STRONG you will fail fast.

Then there is the shoulders, side presses, bent presses, windmills, Russian military presses, all will develop strong, STABLE and I mean stable, functional shoulders and lats.
Good for throwing and pressing. Lats used as stabilizers also become strong for pulling, along with the "deadlift" like effect from swings and snatches gives one a strong pulling capability.

So here is the a few examples of what I am talking about.
1) Say a pro baseball pitcher decides to take up kb's and do hardstyle to increase his fitness. Suddenly he hits a PR for speed or control. He thinks WTH, or in me and my buddies case, WTGDFMFH. He says "Wow kbs are magic.I have been training just as hard on my pitching form and now I am better and the only difference is KB's. Beacuse I have done no extra specific throwing work."
SAID says this could not happen because there is no specific throwing work. But I say there was unrealized throwing work. A proffesion pitcher with 10 or 11 years of experience is probably as strong as he is going to get in the pitching groove, but he has started spending more time on shoulder stabilization, oblique work and HIP SNAP, to transmit more starting power to the shoulder and utilize it more efficiently. Completely without realizing it. SAID at work!

2) EASY. A stay at home suburban mom decides to get in better shape she starts KBing at the request of her friend who is doing it. Within a few weeks she picks up her daughter and puts her on her hip with much greater ease than she did before. She thinks of course " WTH or What The HECK." I have been only using the 18 lb kb and my daughter is 35 lbs. MAGIC.
NOPE, stonger obliques, and ballistic hip snap to drive her child upwards, and position her.

3) Russian strength training as I understand it, intensity x volume = permanant strength adaptation.
So the hip snap is a ballistic movement, and your muscles will never give 100% in a ballistic movement. So you have 70 to 80% of the available intensity X hundreds and hundreds of reps. Permanant adaptation towards strength. In the most primal movement pattern that is available to us. Even walking is a series of hip snap, unilateral transfer of energy, and catching balance. repeat time and time again.

So I think there is really no "What the Hell" effect instead I think there is an "Unrealized Carryover Effect"
JMHO

2 Comments:

Blogger Mark Reifkind said...

UCE eh? Unrealized carryove effect. I like it. Good post Royce and you are so correct aobut the obliques as well. Louie always stressed to me the critical nature of strong obliques to true strength and we trained them just as hard as the frontal abs. I also always had obliques from gymnastics so I had a good starting point as well.

as far as you pitcher example I think another way to look at it is that even though the pitchers mechanics are as strong as it can get after years of good throwing by using hardstyle techniques he is creating more TOTAL body power and strength which will carryover to his skill once he applies it there.

just like the box squat vs the free squat. box squat is harder and requires more force so when one goes back to the stretch reflex with the competitive form one FEELs stronger because there is more'juice' available( no pun intended).

good stuff man and thanksfor the comments. Like your presence on the forum as well. keep up the good work

rif

5:25 AM  
Blogger Royce said...

Cool dude thanks!!

8:24 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home