Monday, January 15, 2007

Workout musings

I don't know where I went wrong. I used to work out religiously. I found what worked for me with trial and error, I made progress. I got fairly strong. Not PL strong, not Oly strong, but much stronger than average.
As I sit on the verge of my 35th b-day ( may 5 ) I realize what I have done to myself with 12 or 13 years of bullshit.
I should have NEVER experimented with narcotics, NEVER EVER.
Meth especially. It causes you to stop eating, therefore you can't train, plus it fucks with your CNS and brain big time.
I wish I had those years back, but I don't, and never will, ever.
You can still train with a hangover, there was a Scottish fellow that used to work out at the gym I went to. He did like SCA stuff, you know sword fighting, staff work, and some sort of Scottish martial arts. Every day he trained he was hungover, and he was seriously strong and intense. He would vomit whiskey and keep squating.
I have NO desire to do that, but he didn't let his drinking keep him from the gym, I did.
He was a better man that me.

I am improving in my kettlebell practice, I am ALMOST halfway home on my United States Secret Service snatch test on my easy day. It is a LOOOONG way off though.
It is like saying I want to bench 270 but can bench 135 so I am halfway there.


Just a few weeks on the ETK program and I am making progress. I need to reflect on my past mistakes without dwelling on them. I need to learn from them. I NEED to keep this improvement, I NEED to keep going.

Fortunatly this is not a post to keep myself motivated, I already am. I won't stop.
I am just lamenting on my misspent youth, it does no good to beat myself up, but it does no good to refuse to acknowledge and learn from the past.

Here is what gets me in the gut, no matter how hard ( or rather how smart ) I train I will never get to the peak I could have with the extra years I have missed out on.


There is a saying "life is what passes you by while you are waiting".
I let alot of life pass me by, no more.

1 Comments:

Blogger Deb said...

Royce,

Hmmm. I have a comment to make and you may very well not like it but I am going to make it anyway. Stop this putting yourself down stuff. The attitude of you are so horrible and everybody is a better man than you has to go. You have done things you regret doing. That does not make you less of a man. What counts is right now because you can't do anything about back then except learn from it.

So make today count. Do right by yourself today and stop beating yourself up about yesterday. Hindsight is 20/20.

5:33 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home