Thursday, June 28, 2007

120 feet of hell.

So I decide I want to go workout today. I did swings yesterday, and I'm doing swings tommorrow. So I didn't want to do swings today, but still I wanted..............something. I was perusing the KB article section on DD the other day and re-read David Whitley's article on suicide frogs.
http://www.dragondoor.com/articler/mode3/251/

I figured these would be ok, especially if I didn't sprint but did more of a tempo run, like 70% of a sprint.

120 feet of fucking hell theses are.

The conditions: 109 degrees outside
The place: The shady side of the park
The implements: one 70 and one 88 lb KB and 120 feet of grass.

The rundown:

Planned 4 sets got 3

First set, couldn't make it without stopping. Developed a nasty little stitch in my right side. Sweat dripped into my ears. If Whitley lived a state closer he could have heard me cursing at him ( with all due respect ).

Second set, legs started to get really damned heavy. the stitch spread to my right kidney and up under my sternum. Rested more than I care to admit. Cursing became mental simple because I was breathing so hard I couldn't form intellagible (sp?) words. I was blowing sweat off my goatee.

Third set, force of will to stand up for the last set. 1/2 gallon of water already downed. Legs felt like I was running in mud. The stitch in my side became a general ache on my entire right side of my torso. I was gasping so hard I saw spots. Lungs started burning, abs felt worked. The workout entered that really cool zen like state where you just shut up your mind and move. Just fucking breathe and move.

Fourth set was the effort needed to keep my protien shake down.


As I sat and tried to get the courage to walke the 100 or so feet back to the van a guy walked up to me and asked what I was doing and "What in god's name are those things?" I talked to him some about KB's and their benefits and Pavel and Dragondoor. He is the first person to actually other than my wife to try a swing when I extolled the virtue of KBs. Remember my lightest one was the 2 pood, After a few tries he managed to knock out a few reps chest high in the 2 hand swing. He was extremely intersted when I talked about MMA fighter switching over to KB's and why. He also carried my 70 back to the car for me. I gave him my phone number we'll see if he's serious.

I also realized just how simple it is to get in shape. Like Mr. Whitley said a person could do this protocol with 2 sand bags and less than 20 bucks of materiel and 120 feet of ground. Or hell 2 rocks for free.

9 Comments:

Blogger Aaron Friday said...

Where the hell are you going to find a 70-lb and an 88-lb rock that you can carry around? Give me a break, dude.

"Hey, here's a really cool fucking huge rock that I'm going to pick up, walk around, throw down, pick up again, and walk around with until I'm ready to die. Once I'm done working out today, I'm going to put this rock in the trunk of my car and bring it back here for subsequent workouts, like maybe two days from now."

Just giving you shit, Royce. People just aren't going to do that shit, including civilized people like you and possibly me.

Anyway, you've got some huge gonads taking on a workout like that, especially with all the stressful things you've had to deal with lately. You're a big, strong fucker, and I'm proud of you for kicking your own ass and having a sense or humor about it.

6:01 PM  
Blogger Royce said...

LOL. Thanks man, I appreciate it. All the people associated with KB's who come to my blog are so damned supportive. Awesome.
And...uhm.....I have a 300 lb tire and 100 lb rock in my back yard. I occasionaly do tire flips supersetted with rock push presses or jerks. :-).

Workouts are the reason I can handle the stress, no lie man. I would be in far worse menatal shape without the sweat!!

6:19 PM  
Blogger Iron Tamer said...

Great work Royce. That fat is meltin off you like a snowcone on the 4thof July!

I am glad that someone is still reading that article.

FWIW: Suicide Frog version 2.0 is walking swings....;)

6:31 PM  
Blogger Aaron Friday said...

And...uhm.....I have a 300 lb tire and 100 lb rock in my back yard. I occasionaly do tire flips supersetted with rock push presses or jerks. :-)..

Yeah, you would, you crazy fucking nut-job. Better get in a few more workouts before Whitley publishes version 2 of frog-death.

7:00 PM  
Blogger Royce said...

Aaron moving heavy shit is just so fun though. Strong back weak mind ya' know.

Dave walking swings!!! Holy hell that would be brutal. Gunna have to try it when you write the article.

7:06 PM  
Blogger Aaron Friday said...

I was just thinking, as long as you're into frogs, the Doors have a song called Peace Frog, which is possibly their coolest song ever.

Getting you on video doing the frog swinging death march version 2, with Peace Frog blaring in the background would be priceless. I might even try the workouts, with a couple of 8s, LOL.

And I'll send you the song.

7:32 PM  
Blogger Christine said...

Oh my god. I have to try it now. :) Awesome stuff! :)

Whitley is the devil though. Just so you know.

7:34 PM  
Blogger Royce said...

Sweet man the next time I try the frogs I'll video it.
The Doors kick ass dude!!

7:34 PM  
Blogger Royce said...

Christine it's a cool workout. One reason is it doesn't hit my hips as much as my quads so mt hammies ( hopefully ) won't be terribly sore for swings tommorrow.

7:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home