Wednesday, January 17, 2007

Insights

Too pumped to sleep, I am going to pay for it tommorrow.
Conditioning has always been the bane of my existance. But it is increasing very fast at the moment.
I could and have gotten strong quickly in the past. Especailly in my back and legs. But you see this raises an interesting dilema. Did I get strong from my training or my jobs. From 18 on I had manuel labor jobs, and not just any jobs but hard ass jobs.
Like the four years I spent at Ameritone paints compared to a normal workout.
Each bucket of paint weighed on average 60 lbs, I deliverd on average 300 buckets of paint per day, each bucket had to be moved at least 5 times before I was done, 1 down from the rack, 2 to the tinting machine, 3 to the shaker, 4 on the truck, 5 to the delivery sight. and a lot of times a long ass farmers walk ( 2 at a time ) to the construction trailer. so lets say 5.25 times per bucket x 300 = 1575 x 60 lbs = 94500 divided by 2000 ( to get the tonnage ) 47.25 tons per day 6 days a week.
Now lets compare a leg day when I was strong ( I didn't keep workout logs so i am going from memory. wich will always favor the higher number so consider this a kick ass day )
Squat 275 5x5 6875 lbs
Stiff legg dead 175 5x5 4375 lbs
Trust me this is a BRUTAL leg day.
Especially when you do them as a circuit with 1 minute rest between sets
SQ
SLDL
SQ
SLDL
SQ
SLDL and so forth

11250 is the total poundage or 5.625 tons as opposed to almost 50 from manuel labor.
So where did I get strength from, to answer this I think about the nature of manuel labor what muscles do you use. Back and legs. My press SUCKS at any angle bench, overhead, incline, whatever. And I struggled to get it strong, and it QUICKLY fell off when I stopped pressing.
I think I got strong from hard ass, long damn days of work and ASSUMED it was strength I developed in the gym.
I think when I am done with my RoP goals ( press the kb closest to 1/2 bodyweight overhead and snatch the 53 lb'r 200 times in 10 minutes ) I am going to base my S&C around the EDT principle choose a time frame and work to increase my capacity within sed time frame.
The thing that brought this on is the fact that my conditioning is increasing almost magically ( minor yes, but it has always been a struggle ) and the only difference is the fact that I am training to increase density ( more swings or snatches per minute ) not decrease the time in wich I do particular workload.
It really is a subtle difference but one that apperantly works better for me.

3 Comments:

Blogger Mark Reifkind said...

good points. you did get your strength from ALL that work you did just working.its hard for me to imagine jsut how strong guys were 50-100 years ago from jsut everyday living. amazing.

6:47 PM  
Blogger Royce said...

Yeah, I did a few years of manuel labor, people had to do years and years of it.

9:55 PM  
Blogger Royce said...

You are right, I shouldn't have pushed that hard on my medium day. I was at 80 reps and I had like a minute and a half left and I just went for it.
My legs were pudding, LOL.

10:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home