Thursday, April 20, 2006

Nature continues to amaze me

We went to the zoo the other day and they had a little scale display showing the crushing power of several different animals bites. Average male handshake maximium 100lbs. On a little side note a 280 lb grip is considered world class crushing power. If you close a gripper at 280 lbs you can be certified and have your name up on a particular website, it's a big deal. At this strength you can perform strongman feats like tearing phone books ect. Only five men in the world have closed the 365 lb gripper under certified circumstances. At the 280 lb level you can burst an unopened soda can by crushing power alone ( two hands ).
I went on that little diatribe to show how amazing animals are, the average dog bite, 450 lbs. The average Macaws beak 1500 lbs!!! Those numbers just stunned me.

2 Comments:

Blogger Royce said...

LOL let me be more specific, the average males max power is 100 lbs. LOL I can see how my post was misleading. In the handshake position the max grip is normally 100 lbs per sq inch. I hit 180 with my right 160 with my left and am working on getting up to 280 on both sides. Although some guys have a squeeze contest, kinda like chicken, whoever stops first is the wimp!!

12:58 PM  
Blogger Trailady said...

Yeah, be careful of those strong beaks- a Macaw can take off a finger!

1:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home