Wednesday, March 01, 2006

weather

There are very few days I don't mind living in Phoenix, I am not whining, but me and Phoenix just are not suited for each other. I know people migrate here for the weather, work opportunities, western lifestyle, burgeoning music scene ( wich I actually love ), ect.
However the summers here are torturous, and the summers last 8 months out of the year lol, although there are groups of liberall, forward thinking individuals, the city as a whole is completely conservative, violent crime is abundant, as is crime against personal property ie auto theft and home robberies. Phoenix and the metro area didn't plan well enough for the current influx of people ( who knew it would be one of the top 5 fastest growing cities in the US ). So traffic is BAD. Although it is changing somewhat, Phoenix has a large population of migratory people, here for a couple of years and gone. Definately to many snowbirds. It tends to dampen or deaden any soul the city has. You can go to certian venues and feel the history ( although it is getting rarer because we keep tearing down historic buildings to open strip malls ). Where as if you got to Prescott, or San Fransisco you can feel the cities soul driving down the street.
Any way I could write a book on why this place is a vortex of negative energy, but then there are days like today.
The air is laden with moisture, it is about 66-67 degrees, lightly overcast, and beautiful, it is like slipping into bed when the covers and blanket are cold, just an amazing feeling. It reminds me of a San Diego morning, a light breeze blows fresh inspirations right down to your bones. I wish I could take the roof off the house and bask in the perfectness of today as I clean the house. There is now way I could not clean today, it feels like the first day of an Illinois spring, like a baby after a bath, like a newly bloomed field of wildflowers, it make me think all possibilities are open.
Within a 6-8 weeks it will be hellishly hot, hot enough to burn motivation right out of people, hot enough to have Gila monsters looking for shade, hot enough to make demons pant.
So right now I am going to enjoy today more than I have enjoyed any day in a long, long time. This is the kind of day where native Phoenicians walk outside, stretch, squint at the sky ( because you always squint here, just a reflex ) think about god knows what, mull it over a little while longer, and proclaim with all the philisophical bravado they can muster " Days like this is why we put up with the summers."

4 Comments:

Blogger Trailady said...

Great post, I could feel that warm air. Glad you had a good day!

5:29 PM  
Blogger Christo Gonzales said...

you freak...

6:09 PM  
Blogger Christo Gonzales said...

you are going to be waddling around soon enough with your muscles and bulk...

6:12 PM  
Blogger Christo Gonzales said...

I miss HOT DRY weather

6:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home