Wednesday, August 22, 2007

I've always been heavy.

Even when I'm in shape I'm still heavy for my height. Consequently I don't like running. Jogging is OK at best, I enjoy walking. But actually running is yucky. Right now it's about all I can do, tying my shoelaces is hard, picking up a barbell or KB is out of the question. So today I did tempo runs about 75% percieved exertion with 2-3 minutes between sets. I'm actually making a point here, not just rambling. When I was at my heaviest I couldn't run. I don't know the exact physiological reason, maybe really tight hip flexors, combined with too much weight, and weak inflexible hammies, maybe. But I distinctly remember trying to beat a stoplight as it turned yellow. I took off as fast as I could across the street, and I couldn't RUN. It wasn't a matter of wind, I just was incapable of doing it. It was one of the most depressing moments of my life. Today I did tempo runs for over 1/2 an hour. Although I really dislike this type of workout and it's hard on the joints for me, it is a PR of sorts that really really means something to me. I was very emotional on the last set, runners high and the fact I just could do it. Power of the KB babey. I absolutely love those fucking orbs of pain

9x100yds
2-3 minutes ret between sets
75% percieved exertion

5 Comments:

Blogger Christine said...

I only run if someone is chasing me.

Or to catch the ice cream truck.

heh

9:34 AM  
Blogger Jim Ryan said...

Way Cool, Royce! Hey, a PR is PR!

Gutsy of you to be out in the open about it. We all have our skills and natural abilities, some never find theirs. IMO, That's truly sad...

4:51 PM  
Blogger Mark Reifkind said...

thats great dude. I only wish I could run again. even a little bit. thats the thing I want to be able to do more than anything when I get a bionic knee.
emjoy it, being able to run is definitely a gift

7:23 PM  
Blogger Mark Reifkind said...

oh yeah, and "stupid should hurt" should be on a t shirt.

7:24 PM  
Blogger Royce said...

Bionic knee=COOL

Yes it should be on a T-shirt :-)

7:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home