Thursday, July 05, 2007

Food

Ok I have fully embraced a low carb/high veggie/high protien/high fat diet. And it's in the true sense of the word diet wich actually means just what you eat today. When somebody says "What was the Neanderthals diet primarily made up of?" There wasn't horde's of Neanderthals standing around saying "Gee I'm looking pudgy and I can't fit into my loincloth anymore, I'm going on the earthworm and mastadon diet for 6 weeks." It means what they ate in general. So I don't even feel like I'm on a "diet" except for the fact that I still have to limit intake ( calories ).
I actually have much more energy generally eating like this. My craving for simple sugars has almost disapeared ( except for beer cravings and I suspect that alcoholism not sugar ). I don't even think about it anymore, it's just habit now.
A typical day looks like this.
breakfast 4 eggs and 2 slices off cheese
snack blended protien shake with milled flaxseed
Lunch chicken breast with veggies
snack protien shake again with milled flaxseed
dinner either eggs or another chicken breast. although the past week or so has been steak.

I also try to get veggies with dinner and spinach and mushrooms in the omlette.

The only real food carbs I CRAVE anymore involves fat too, like grilled cheese sandwich or pizza.

4 Comments:

Blogger Mark Reifkind said...

remember that it's your habits, not your exceptions that really matter. I think you are making a smart choice and your reasons are correct imho.But you can have a pizza( or a slice) once in awhile if what you mainly eat is what you know you need.
It can be slipperly slope but you'll be fine.Once you get used to focusing on vegggies, protein and fats you feel so good that carb based diet isnat as appealing. You see( and feel) the downside.
I've been eating granola lately and I jsut old tracy not to buy it anymore.I can't resist it. She said' your weight and bodyfat are okay what does it matter""

and I told her is wasnt how I WANT to eat, because I know it's not the best for me.Just cause I can 'get away with it' from a cosmetic POV doesnt mean I should do it.
I can feel the difference from an inflammatory POV as well. Veggies, fats and proteins in that order) are what work best for my body it seems and I have more muscle and joint pain if I let the carbs get too high. even if it's from organice oats.

Grains are only 10,000 years old and we've been around lot longer than that. grains were necessary to produce, then feed burgeoning populations but that doesnt mean they were optimal for ones health.
Devany writes so well on this topic.
keep up the good work man.

1:16 PM  
Blogger Royce said...

Yeah Rif one thing that convinced me about the bad qualities of grains is the intra-muscular fat profile of grass fed beef to that of grain fed beef. Grass fed beef contains a fat profile on par with salmon. SALMON.

I also read somewhere that the original agricultural settlements raised Coca, ephedra, and barley. They supposedly made a rudimenatry beer, coca based stimulant and tea from the ephedra bearing plants. So they might have not even valued barley or grains for their nutritional values as much as their mental-state altering possibilities. Yet here we are as a society eating tons of the refined stuff.

8:31 PM  
Blogger Laser Rocket Arm said...

Welcome to the dark side! :D

In all seriousness, it's amazing how much better you feel when you kick the grains out. Good for you!

7:34 AM  
Blogger Mark Reifkind said...

good points royce. so they raised speed plants so they could hunt better,lol.makes sense.

5:21 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home