Sunday, April 08, 2007

Freakin' cool ass Sunday.

First of all, everyone sit down for this one, Barb swung a kettlebell!! LOL. We had fun. She loves jogging, it is her zen. And she is good at it, just keeps going and going, energizer bunny eat your heart out. She used to jog at a nice slow comfortable pace and every time she went out she went farther. She progressed from around the block to 3 miles really really fast. She has been talking about working out again and asked me for advice. This is a slippery road for me to walk on. She asked me to make a program for her to follow, this is steep slippery path littered with pitfalls. We have had some fights because I haven't listened to her in the past. Typical guy behavior. She really doesn't want to strength train per se. Although she is becoming more open to the idea. She wants to bike, jog and stuff like that, she got discouraged last time she did it because she lost very little weight, but when she went to the gym she dropped 13 lbs in one month ( nad gained a pound of muscle if I remember right ). Weights burn the calories. But this time I listened to her, she wants to jog or bike.I suggested like a DOE manmaker or HOC format. swing the KB jog around the track, swing/jog swing/jog ect. We just got back from the track, I brought my 53 lb'r along and did it with her for support although between my ankle and my weight and my sore legs I didn't really jog that much. It felt really good to do even a little though. My legs needed the stretch and bloodflow.
Turns out she had fun. we set the kbs in the field in the middle of the track and started jogging ( jog/walk for me ). when we reached the halfway point we would jog to the KB's and do 10 swings. we did 1/2 mile and 40 swings all together. I let her tell me when she had enough. I tried to show her a clean and push press just to balance out the swings. she said it was too much to learn in one day. And you know what, I listened. Life is good. 4 x 10 swings the first time somebody touches a KB is damn good too. She said that format was funner than just jogging ( more intense too LOL ) cause you weren't doing the same thing over and over again. She asked me how much to do I said take your time, as long as you need, work up to 2 miles and higher reps sets then try to beat your times. Nobody judging her, no meatheads in the gym not reracking the weights, no trainers not helping her because they were trying to get laid.

I think she got turned off by "strength training" because of bad gym ettiquite. College meatheads that would leave 4 plates a side on the squat rack and she couldn't unload it. Plus when she had a question about a machine or form the trainers ( meatheads themselves) wouldn't take the time to help a girl unless they were 20, blonde, and dumb as a box of rocks. Makes me realize how much shit women put up with in a day. It's a tragedy too, Barbs favorite move was the squat. and she would do set after set. she was way more hardcore than the cardio bunnies there and she got dissed. If she sets her mind to something she just does it. and she freakin pushed herself too.
Now we have a powercage and KB's. She can workout at her own pace with no meatheads around.

Turns out I learned something too, well reafirmed something too. Throwing around the big bells is cool, but I can actually get more speed and power from the 53. speed x mass. swinging the bulldog is SLOW. I need to be much stronger to swing the big bells to get the benifits they offer.

I had a wonderfull time with my wife. Days like these are what I live for.

3 Comments:

Blogger Tracy Reifkind said...

Super idea! I suggested doing just that with one of my clients, walk 1 lap, swing 20 reps, walk 1 lap, swing 20 reps, etc..

Women are "cardio queens" we love it! That's why I train the way I do. Women are also very intuitive, she knows what her body likes and needs. I'm so excited for her!

5:41 AM  
Blogger Royce said...

Yeah Barb's intuition is SHARP sometimes. She definately has the potential to be a cradio queen.

7:04 AM  
Blogger Royce said...

UUUGGHGH, me and my spelling, CARDIO.

7:05 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home