Monday, January 22, 2007

RoP easy day and some cool new insights

press ladders with the 53
2,2,1,1,1
snatches with 53
rolled 6
36 snatches
3/3 x 6
really felt it today, superior workout, hip snap is starting to develop some strength and snap to it. BAM snap the hips feel the bell float, Awesome.

easy on purpose today wed and fri went heavy on the swings didn't want to overtrain

Rants
let me preface, this living mindfully is a great thing. I am trying to get back to my philisophical roots. Every action contains intention. We are acountable for every action. Life is so much better, food intake is actually healthy, fruits, nuts ,vegtables, lean protien, EVOO, ultra-refined fish oil ( no mercury or PCB's ). No weighed down feeling after meals.

Now workout revelations.
i have been reading everything I can get my hands on on WSB barbell training ( although this system is WAY over my head ) Pavels stuff, all the strength articles on DD, powerlifting forums, and whatever comes my way.

Kettlebells primary selling point is strength-endurance wich the concept of just hit me hard when I first heard it. Second if you do enough of the right excersizes brute strength.
For instance squatting 200 lbs is no big deal ( especially for someone like me where 200 lbs is getting pretty close to lean ). But single leg squatting 100 lbs for reps is freakin' strong, benching 200 lbs is no big deal, overhead pressing 2 100 lb kettlebells ( BIG FREAKIN DEAL ).


So all this reading and thinking has had me asking myself what is MY definition of fitness.
I have seen guys bench 400 lbs but get winded walking up the stairs to the gym, I have seen runners that couldn't curl 25 dumbells,
And I am not making a judgement call, to each their own, if someone can run 10 miles that is a HELL of an accomplishment that they should be proud of.
Getting a black belt amazing
benching 405 raw at any weight stunning.
But I have to specialize in something, and here is the thing, I have to be proud of what I am trying to do.

I was thinking about the tempo or speed of acceleration used in KB hardstyle ballistics, they are the exact tempos you would use in real life, because they are real life, they are awkard, there is no microloading ( the last time you helped anyone move did you say, I will start with boxes weighing 15lbs work up to 55 lb boxes then work my way back down to 15 lb boxes.)NOPE.

I read something somewhere that got my attention not strength, not strength-endurance, not flat endurance.
But what sums up my definition of fitness POWER-ENDURANCE.
I have to spend time working on the basics, build up a strength base, and then work on power.
By that I mean the ability to accelerate moderate weights rapidly and repeatedly.

Example loading trucks full of bails of hay, but tossing them to the front of the truck.

Basic grinds + heavy KB ballistics = power-endurance.

Right now I am working on snatching the 53 200 times in 10 minutes,
then I want 150 with the 70
12o with the bulldog
100 with the beast
Clean and Jerk with the bulldog 110 reps in ten minutes

No GS stuff ( well maybe a corkscrew on the descent of my snatches )

this may take years, it may be beyond my capabilities, and I am not deluding myself these are huge numbers, but like my dear old pappy says.
"The time will pass weather you do it or not."

4 Comments:

Blogger Tracy Reifkind said...

"The time will pass whether you do it or not" One of my favorites!

I apply that to dieting all the time. This time next year you can choose to be thinner or don't, it doesn't matter. Next year will get here regardless.

5:45 AM  
Blogger Tracy Reifkind said...

If you're lucky, that is!

5:46 AM  
Blogger Royce said...

Yup, mt pop is full of them

6:39 AM  
Blogger Franz Snideman said...

Great goals Roycs. What's important is that you are setting goals and pushing the envelope.

Keep up the great training!

11:25 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home