Wednesday, June 14, 2006

Investing and working out

Hand problems still there, I can do any pushing or squating movement just fine. But when I do a pulling movement to heavy my hand twinges almost like a carpal tunnel thing. ( I did have problems with that and this is not that )
So squats and presses it is for a while ( the really sad thing is that pulling movements are what I do best, and cleaning kettlebells into position is a pulling movement )


On the investing front I wired money to my account yesterday. OH YEAH. Back in the saddle!! While I've been away, Sugar and Orange Juice have both skyrocketed. The cool thing about this is the fact that I had positions in both before I closed out my account ( in the black I might add ).
I am a trend/technical/contrarian trader, I don't get caught up in fundamentals ( weather, mining reports, labor disputes, technologies, ect ).
Now I am still an amatuer at this and I still make mistakes ( can't beat the markets, but you can go with them ).
There are 3 techniques I use.
1 Trend, if something is in an up or down trend that I can identify when it starts I will invest accordingly ( yes you heard right in futures you can make money when the price drops )
2 contrarian position/50% rule, ALL futures markest have four movement nuetral/or sideways channel, new high, new low or 50% retracements.
3 Chart formations, when something influences the futures, good or bad, it tends to make certain formations, I trade those also.

The single most powerful technique among those is the 50% rule, let me explain.
Take Soybeans, from the middle of 2001 to the beggining of 2004 Soybeans went from 450 cents a bushel to 1050 cents a bushel ( at 50 dollars paid out for evey cent move it was substantial to say the least ). As this rose put options were getting VERY cheap, ( or options that make money when the price drops) but we didn't buy any ( it would have been good though.) Then the price tanked after the first part of the year in 2004 from 1050 to 500 roughly. Ok the 50% rule simply states that the markets by their nature have a rebound effect. They will rebound 50 percent of any move made, so since it dropped from 1050 to 500 it should hit 775.
Here is where emotional control comes in, the 50% does not tell us when it will happen, it could be 20 years from now or the next day. BUT the faster and longer the drop the MORE LIKELY it will happen within the next year.
So if I would have had money to trade then I would have bought call options ( that make money when the price is going up) with a strike price of about 700 ( strike price just means you can excersize if the futures hit that price ). At that time I could have gotten calls with a year untill expiration for less that a thousand dollars. 6 month later Soybeans touched 775, those measley 800-1000 dollar options turned into 8000 to 10000 dollar options.
And stuff like that happens every year, and much smaller 50% moves happen somewhere every month or so, it is flat easy to turn a 300 or 400 dollar option into a 800 or 900 dollar option with a few months.


The Canadian Dollar just started a decent 50% move, but the options have gotten expensive right now, rice is poised to make a move. Who knows what will move next. I don't care. Baby I am Back!!!!

3 Comments:

Blogger Trailady said...

WOW, now I know how to invest, Royce. Thanks. Now, I just need to earn more money...

I think you can vary squats, lunges, etc. enough to still get a good workout. Have you thought about wearing a wrist brace?

8:35 PM  
Blogger Royce said...

Investment is cool, even on a small scale like me.

Yeah, for a little while I am going to have to do just that lunges, squats, jumpsquats, thrusters ( full squat to overhead press ) ect.
Its funny you and I look at excersize almost the same way, even if we approach our goals in a different manner.

I will try the wrist brace, and no I had not thought of that yet, thanks!!

9:08 PM  
Blogger Trailady said...

Hey Royce, they make some really cool braces for weightlifters now that are very supportive of the wrist and are especially good for those with carpal tunnel. The powerlifters at my old gym used them.

Have a GREAT weekend!! :o)

4:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home