Monday, May 22, 2006

Re-learning an old lesson........

cycle everything. I didn't know what it was called when I was younger. I kind of did it by using common sense. I would do sets of 3 really hard reps, doing a weight untill I failed at 3 then dropping the weight and continuing on. Cycling the weight down. Then there would inevitably be a day where I felt like crap, and because I would not feel like pushing or I would still have some remanants of deep muscle soreness, I would use light weights for higher reps for a workout or two. Instinctive cycling ( really I would be a dumbass to lift as heavy as i could while I was so sore ). Well as i have recently learned, I am getting old LOL, not really old but I can definately get injured easily ( sucks ).
So I am going to wave cycle everything. Time under tension, weight, duration of workout, goals, whatever. Let me give you an example.
Say I can bench 225 for 3 sets of five ( I can't but lets pretend and it will make me feel better ) and i bench on mon and thur. My workouts might look like this
week 1
mon 2 sets
thur 3 sets

week 2
mon 3 sets
thur 4 sets ( 4rth set to how ever many reps i can get )

week 3
mon 2 sets
thur 3 sets

week 4
mon 4 sets
thur 5 sets

week 5
mon 5 sets
thur 3 sets

week 6
mon 4 sets
thur 5 sets

week 7
mon 6 sets
thur 4 sets

Basically hit a higher number and back off, then push for a higher number, then back off.
Give everything a chance to catch up after I have had a PR. If I would have done that with my snatches and grip work I wouldn't be injured right now.

3 Comments:

Blogger BrainSyke said...

great advice man! Thanks!

2:39 PM  
Blogger Royce said...

Your welcome, I want to go full out all the time. I can't anymore.
Sucks but that is life!!

12:04 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Super color scheme, I like it! Keep up the good work. Thanks for sharing this wonderful site with us.
»

9:32 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home