Wednesday, August 08, 2007

Mid-day epiphanies are the best.

I've always been big, even when I was much leaner I've always been barrell chested. I have gotten a lot of positive reinforcement because of that over the years, negative too, but I'm mostly a positive person so I disregard the negative. Course maybe that's just looking at life through rose colored glasses. But I have always tried calculate in my head the perfect perigee between absolute weight, leanness, and muscle mass, that will still get me big guy respect and health. As well as food, just how many calories will it take to maintain a certain mass, or loose a certain amount ect ect. I'm starting to realize how much of a mental plateau that is. Its also "fitness magazine" approach. It focuses more on the external not the internal. It's funny I don't moniter my calories at all now somedays they will drop down to 1500 somedays it will be as high as 3000 or more. Not a strict rigid diet at all, just trying to make sure every meal is within a certain nutritional guidline. I'm starting to clear a lot of mental RAM up. I am beginning to just eat healthy, move, sleep, and let the results come to me. It is definately a self-reinforcing positive cycle. I'm not walking around wondering what the perfect conflux of situations are. I'm DOING what I need to do, with the profound realization that my goals are well within reach. I want to eat enough to recover, move heavy iron, and toss around a lot of kettlebells. Those actions will take care of my goals. Of course I'll learn, adapt and grow, but it isn't a source of concern anymore. It's becoming a passion. I am becoming much much more interested in performance.

This guy walks in moves the weight, gets the job done, and is a strong MFer. I bet he wasn't wandering if his BF% was low enough when he was in the middle of these lifts.

7 Comments:

Blogger Tom Furman said...

This guy is strong as a bull but needs to address some postural issues. From the side,..his ear, shoulder, hip, knee, and heel should line up.
He needs some deep tissue work.

Very impressive work ethic and focus however.

3:41 PM  
Blogger J.B. said...

There's a hundred different things about someone's physique you can pick on, but that's the whole point of the entry. (correct me if I'm wrong Royce)Why the hell do we care how his posture is, if he's getting too much mobility in his lumbar spine, what his bf % is? He's grinding it out, moving the weight, and those "issues" are his to deal with. If he doesn't deal with them he'll break down, if he does he'll get even better, but today, right now he's moving the weight and kicking ass, and that's something to commend him on.

4:28 PM  
Blogger Aaron Friday said...

Royce, you know what's best for you. Trust yourself, cultivate your intuition and stay on that path. You're doing great. Nice post.

4:30 PM  
Blogger Royce said...

Tom I didn't know that, I watched it again I see what you mean. I'm just really starting to figure out mobility and structure, good stuff. Thanks. As soon as I'm done with school, I'm going to look into z-health it really intigues me.

JB yeah exactly, Do what you need to accomplish your goals, and not sit around wishing you had, and daydreaming about the perfect workout scheme( or moneymaking scheme or whatever). For most of my life there has been a deep chasm between desire and action. Action is easy now, when I want something I just do what I need to get there. One of those lesson I could have stood to learn a long time ago.


Aaron, thanks man. Yeah it's just an attitude that's been forming lately. There really is no such thing as a diet. I'm not on a diet. I'm either eating in a away that supports movement and recovery, or I'm eating in a manner that supports BF storage and is bad for my body. One is conducive to my goals another is not.

5:20 PM  
Blogger Mark Reifkind said...

one of the things I loved best about powerlifting is that it didnt matter at all what you looked liked while you were doing it; just what you could do. there is a lot to say about sports like that.
food is fuel. feed the workout and your recovery.

7:32 PM  
Blogger Mark Reifkind said...

tom is right though, that guys body is torqued.

7:34 PM  
Blogger Royce said...

Rif, now that I see what ya'll are talking, with him being torqued, about I can kinda see it. I'm finally getting to a point where food is fuel, it's awesome!! And it doesn't mean I have to not enjoy food. A glass of wine ( fruit based) vs a glass of beer ( grain based ) or a steak and salad vs a steak and potatoe.......

9:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home