Saturday, April 28, 2007

Mecca

So I checked out this gym called Thorbecks today. It bills itself as the oldest powerlifting gym in the US. I don't know how they determine that considering old-skool powerlifters and oldtime bodybuilders were pretty much the same, they trained side by side and just varied nutritionly. But that is not the point. This place is a true dungeon. The padding on the benches is thin and cracked, all the bars have crusted chalk and patena on them. They have platforms. It is in a converted wharehouse. It looks hot in the summer and cold in the winter. There isn't one piece of cardio equipment there. They have a sign on the outside that says "Things allowed: Screaming, Chalk, Dropping Weights."

No contracts, they have a key membership so you can workout anytime, and 2 dollar day passes. They only have about 200 memebers, but anyone is welcome. the place looks HARDCORE. I mean old-skool hardcore. I just peaked through the window right now. it was closed but I'm getting the key membership in 2 weeks. As I was leaving this oriental dude pulled up he was about 5'6" and probably 225 lbs with definition. HYuge chest back and quads. You just don't see guys built like that at the Q. I bet they would even let me bring kb's to the gym.

Here is the funny part, it's 4 miles from my house and about 1000 yards away from the gym that finally made me want to never step into a comercial gym again. I can't believe this place has existed this whole time. When you are ready the teacher ( or in this case the "school" ) appears.

http://www.thorbeckesgym.com/

4 Comments:

Blogger Mark Reifkind said...

SHEEEEt Dude! THorbeckes is a LEGENDARY gym. Real deal, hardcore been there since the start.Do not miss this opportunity! 4 miles from your house? its in your backyard! perfect! the universe provided a great favor. enjoy.

6:34 AM  
Blogger Christine said...

And $2 day passes! TWO DOLLARS!

5:09 PM  
Blogger Royce said...

Done deal Rif, I'm getting a membership there as a delayed B-day present. I absolutely cannot wait.

Yeah Christine that's called integrity, that's hard shit to find these days.

7:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I worked out and was on their team in the 70's and 80's when it was a little hard core gym in Scottsdale. I still workout today.

9:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home