Thursday, May 24, 2007

bench, deads, and general musings.

Bench
175 3x3
CV deads
6 singles with 225
tossed the 70 around a little, freestyle work. Didn't keep track, all really easy stuff just getting blood flow. Cleans, high pulls, rows a few side presses.


I can finally get my hands in position on the bar for the squat if the rack is wide. The rack at strengthworks is very wide right to the inside stops on a bar. On my squat rack there was a little space on the bar outside the supports, so I grabbed that space with my thumb and index finger and placed the rest of my hand on the inside stops. Sounds precarious but it was atualy pretty solid. The problem came when I was re-racking the bar, or if I failed or fell before I got to the box my wrists would have been squarely between the bar and the rack supports. Very not OK.

Also, they have adjustable boxes there 11-16 inches. So Monday I'm going there to squat, the weight will probably be lower because the box will be a good 3-4 inches lower in the top position than my bench. Hard on the ego, but it's cool though I can't wait to have a tough squat workout. Is that sick??

5 Comments:

Blogger Mark Reifkind said...

the best rack set up for you is an adjustable squat stand(jack racks0 where you can set the racks IN so you can get your hands out as wide as possible. you WILL pinch the shitouta your hands eventually if you keep trying to rerack it wide like that.
and that really hurts.
good work on th flexibility increase though.

3:49 PM  
Blogger Christine said...

Owie! Yeah, squat stands would work. Sheesh, pinching your hand with weight on your back is a recipe for a back DISASTER!

Hey, regarding the thingie thing, I will be back on the internets on THURSDAY with pictures. I got invited to the beach, so I'm going! So don't post before me!

4:21 PM  
Blogger Royce said...

Rif I was thinking it could be a really bad deal to get caught in between weights and supports. I can't remember who said it, but somebody was talking about making sure you have a plan in place in case a rep goes bad, cause at sometime a rep is going to go bad. I'm hoping pretty soon my shoulders will be flexible enough to comfortable grab the bar closer in. I'll just keep plugging away at it. Thorbecks has a squat stand but no boxes. Its a really nice squat stand too, totally freakin' sturdy.

Christine Thursday it is!!

4:42 PM  
Blogger mike said...

And now you know why powerlifters use a monlift.
Mark is right, of course. The stands are great. Or adopt an oly stance.

7:09 PM  
Blogger Royce said...

Michael, I would LOVE to be able to grab the bar that close in. I can't my shoulder/chest aren't flexible enough........yet. :-)

8:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home