Sunday, January 08, 2006

O.K. kettlebell training

So I am going to post my results on the Web, not because I think everybody wants to know about my fat ass, but because I have to be accountable. If I post it, and people read it, it will help keep me motivated.
Here is the plan m/f/s I am going to follow this plan, jog 1/8 of mile between each of the following exersizes, kettlebell one arm swing l/r 10repsx1, 1 arm kettlebell snatch l/r 10x1, one arm clean and jerk l/r 10x1, underleg pass 10x2, so basicly it is 4 exersizes, done on each side of the body and a one mile run. It is takes its inspiration from boxers roadwork, and trust me its brutal.
On wednesdays I will do a 5x5 program switching exersizes every week (ala, louie simmons of Westside Barbell Club ) for example , one week flat bench 5x5, bent over barbell row 5x5, back squats 5x5, stiff-legged deads 5x5, next week incline bench, lat pulldown to the front, deadlift, good mornings. Same rep scheme as previous week.
Problem # 1, I can't do the cardio, I hover over 280 pounds at 5'8", damn near as big around as I am tall ( a little exaggeration, but you get the point.).
So I have to modify my program a little, I can't get throught the first 1/4 of my cardio workout yet, ( run 1/8 mile, 10 left arm swings, run 1/8 mile 10 right arm swings) I can complete the first 1/8 mile 10 swings and about 50 or 60 yards of the second jog, walk the rest of the way and do the other set of swings, then I wheeze uncontrolably for about 5 minutes, and I don't have asthma. My poor wife stands by with a phone to call 911 she thinks I am going to have a heart attack. She is not the only one!!!!!!
So my first goal is to complete the first 1/4 of the workout, the half, then 3/4 and so on, so I will post my workout when I can do the first 1/4 of the BEGINNER cardio ( damn I am a lard-ass ).
Anyhow, the Wednesday workout will change every 4-6 weeks so they don't get stale, i.e. high reps, dumbell only, x-reps, low reps, multiple single reps, Gotta credit my buddy Doug for this approach, he was a big dude back in the day, and he told me that switching stuff up keeps you fresh, and in fact I was starting to have elbow problems, and I remembered something he told me a long time ago about dropping the load per workout, and doing it more often, so I cut my sets in half on every exersize and did them twice a week, presto no elbow problems.
Untill the next post......Seeee YYAAAAAAA

2 Comments:

Blogger Red said...

Well, you keep me updated. I am looking for a gym here to continue a program I was doing last spring but promptly abandoned in summer. So, here's to the sweat and pain and frustration of taking off the pounds that were so fun to put on (you know, what with the drinking and food and all). Good luck, your workout makes me tired just reading it.

6:08 PM  
Blogger Trailady said...

Sounds like you have a good program laid out. Best wishes for great success!! PS. Thanks for visiting my blog. :o)

8:12 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home